Tuesday 23 November 2010

Back with a vengeance

Hey nobody but me.....

After a month during which I have cooked lots and blogged none I am back, hoping that soon enough someone may find a tiny bit of culinary inspiration from me.  This month I have spent a lot of time cooking recipes from Jane Grigson's English food.  So much so that it has earned pride of place in my cubby hole kitchen.

Strange as it may sound the Cucumber Ragout was a particular success.  So much so that I feel compelled to put down the recipe:

2 cucumbers sliced (unpeeled)
2 medium onions sliced
unsalted butter
8 tbsp chicken stock
3 tbsp dry white wine
salt, pepper, mace
2 rounded tsp flour


To start melt some butter in two pans and brown the onions in one and the cucumber in the other, you don't need to cook them through at this stage just give them some colour.  Drain the vegetables and then put them in a saucepan with the stock, wine and seasoning.  Cover the saucepan tightly and simmer until vegetables are cooked (about 10mins).  Mash together the flour with some butter and then slowly add the mush to thicken the sauce.  Thats it, all done (except for the multitude of pans to wash up but get someone else to do that).  Serve with grilled chicken or pork...YUM!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment